Best bacon recipe is presented in this article, which can and should be cooked at home. Bright pink meat layers and snow-white bacon – beauty! You can create a culinary miracle at home, but you can’t do without nitrite salt. The only difficulty is compliance with the temperature regime of cooking, otherwise, everything is simple.
- 800 g pork belly or pork belly (lard with thick layers of meat)
- 12 g coarse sea salt
- 8 g of nitrite salt with a sodium nitrite content of 0.5-0.6%
- Take a brisket with thick layers of meat, preferably without ribs, on the skin. Rinse the brisket with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub a piece with a mixture of normal and nitrite salt, place it in a sized container and refrigerate it for a week. Turn the piece about once a day. Since the nitrite salt inhibits the growth of bacteria, the brisket odor will be completely neutral throughout the week.
- Rinse the salted brisket with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the brisket in a bag or roasting sleeve, submerge in water, squeeze out the air, and tie the bag.
- Place in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring the water to 80 ° C and soak the brisket at this temperature for 1.5 hours. It is convenient to use a multicooker with the ability to manually set the temperature.
- You can also steam the brisket or stand for 1.5 hours at 80–85 ° C in the oven. All cooking methods are reduced to keeping the bacon at a temperature at which the meat is cooked and the bacon is not melted (70 ° C in the middle of the piece). If the temperature is higher than this, you get baked bacon.
- Cool bacon, remove from foil and chill in the refrigerator before slicing.